Friday, December 19, 2008

Here I am!

Ok! So here I am, here’s my food blog and here’s the name –“Aaj kya khayenge?” English translation – What will we eat today?.
My debut in cooking started with these three words…spelled by my husband every evening while going home from work.(he picks me up from my office)
Initially, these words instilled every feeling of confusion, anger and sometimes even terror in me – a software engineer who spent all my time in my office and when hungry – looked up to my mom and later to the cook. My cooking experience was limited to being an assistant to my mom, obediently chopping veggies for her- without caring to find out what does she does with them!
Cut to present times – me, my kitchen, my limited culinary skills and my hubby –an expert cook himself with this great passion for food, who believed food can be enjoyed only if cooked with love, and hence despised restaurant eating. After all attempts to cook a decent meal failed – my rotis refused to blow up and my daals continued to be watery – I started to fear these three words more and more..I used to sit through work thinking..and did the first thing that comes to a software person’s mind – googled on ‘how to make soft rotis’ and ‘toor daal recipe’.

This click on ‘Search’ not only gave me all the recipes I needed, but more – lots more! It opened to me a whole world of food blogs – countless recipes, colorful pictures of food, great write-ups – I felt like Nemo’s dad in ‘Finding Nemo’. The more I explored, the more my fears vanished, giving room to a newly found passion – cooking! I started to start my days with checking out my list of favorite food blogs – one leading to another and trying out the recipes in the evenings..Weekends started to get tastier..and of course – rotis started to get fluffier!

So here I am, thanks to all the wonderful ladies out there running great food blogs, to my dear hubby, who has started to ask this question more often now and to my friend Neha, who pushed me start my blog rite now – and get away with my plans to do so after I retire : )

I don’t think I can boast of having in my kitty great, original recipes which I plan to post. But yeah, I plan to run this blog as an ode to anyone I want to thank after I have cooked a nice dish – sometimes my mom, sometimes my mom-in-law and most of the time – someone on the food blog arena!

2 comments:

  1. Hi M, I guess I can be added to the list of S/W engg.s out there who get confused and angry to cook in the evening after work. The world of blogging helped me a lot at those times. I'm not currently working and started blogging myself. You are doing a great job here. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing Mansi! Do you write for a food magazine, channel etc. Your blog makes reading about cooking fun. Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete