Monday, February 16, 2009

Aaloo Gobhi

This is my hubby's creation. Nothing great, it's the regular sabji fare, but whenever I attempt to make it, following exactly what he does, I end up getting a nearly overcooked, nearly soggy aaloo gobhi, nowhere near to his bright, perfectly cooked sabji. Here you go -

Ingredients -
1 midsized gobhi - cleaned, washed, cut into florets
2 aaloo- washed and cut into bite size pieces
a handful of fresh green peas (optional)
2 green chillis, an inch piece of ginger - chopped finely
3 tsp jeera (he puts so much of it, I can call this one -jeera-aaloo-gobhi)
1 tsp heeng powder, 1 tsp haldi
1 tsp garam masala, salt as per taste
chopped green dhania (optional)
1 tbsp sarso oil
Method -
1. Heat oil in a kadhai. For sarso oil, it is essential to have it heated properly, else the end product will have a strange smell.
2. Add jeera, heeng, haldi and let it sizzle for a minute.
3. Add chopped chillis and ginger, let it sizzle for another 2 mins.
4. Add the aaloo, gobhi and matar, sprinkle salt, mix and cover.
5. Let this cook covered for 7-8 minutes, open and check if cooked. It normally cooks in 7 to 8 minutes, you can cover and cook for 3 more minutes, but there is a risk of overcooking the gobhi.
6. Add the garam masala, mix.
7. Serve with chopped green dhania sprinkled.
Loads of jeera gives this sabji a great flavor - don't hesitate to put in the quantity mentioned :)

3 comments:

  1. that does look good...I like the idea of adding Sarson Ka tel in it....must taste great with that!

    :)

    trupti
    the spice who loved me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog Trupti! I am a big follower of "the spice who loved me"

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this dish.simple yet so wholesome

    ReplyDelete