Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kaju Barfi


Here's kaju barfi, which I made for holi and it was a hit, like all the other times I have made it. It is totally hassle free, needs no ghee and takes less than half an hour to make it.

Ingredients:
1 cup of cashews
3/4 cup (or slightly less if you prefer) of sugar
1/4 cup of water

Method:
1. Finely grind the cashews to a powder. Don't overdo it, as the cashews may leave their oil and you may end up getting a paste instead of powder. Even if you do, it does not affect the taste :)
2. Mix the sugar and water in a kadhai. Heat till small bubbles begin to appear on the surface.
3. Stir gently and let it come to a rolling boil. No need to check for string consistency etc of the syrup.
4. Pour in the cashew powder and stir well to avoid lumps. Keep stirring for a few minutes and you should notice the mixture getting a little thicker.
5. Put a little drop on a chilled plate and test to see if it hardens slightly. You should be able to roll it into a loose ball.
6. If it does, switch off the heat and move the pan away from the hot surface.
7. Let it cool slightly and dump out the contents onto a board or a clean countertop.
8. Knead well with your hands (much like you would knead bread dough) to make it smooth and glossy.
9. Roll out with a rolling pin into 1/4 inch thick sheet and cut into any shape you want. I made these small bite sized rectagles and people around me refrain from eating sweets.
10. Let cool/dry and pack in tins between sheets of waxed paper. Store at room temperature for a week or in the fridge for longer.

This recipe comes directly from 'Saffrun Hut', which I bumped into while food surfing and kept drooling over the wonderful pic there for a long time (prolly months) before I myself made it. Thanks so much saffron, for such a wonderful recipe and such a wonderful blog!Here is the original one - http://saffronhut.blogspot.com/2006/10/simple-sweet-kaju-kathli-cashew.html

2 comments:

  1. One of my fav meetha! Nice to discover your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I am such a major failure when it comes to making sugar syrup! I tried to make some syrup a few days back so I could use it in a quick lemonade... it seemed fine to begin with but I ended up with a hard lump of sugar the next day x-(
    Since this recipe is not very demanding about ek taar, 2 taar and what not ki chashni, I could give it a shot :)
    My mom's friend used to make a similar katli with peanuts (the ones we use for sabudane ki khichdi), I normally don't like peanuts but I could gobble a ton of that mithai... may be I should try it with this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete